Aberdeenshire Dialect

Donald Sinclair (DJHSMFS@aol.com) makes an interesting point on the
Aberdeenshire pronunciation of "work".  My Mother is from Aberdeenshire and
my summer holidays as a boy were spent with Grandparents, Aunt, Uncle and
cousins learning my first foreign language, "Doric", as the dialect is known
there!  They occasionally switched to "English" if I could not understand.
The language, I now know from Norwegian studies has some similarities to the
modern Norwegian "Nynorsk".  In Aberdeenshire hanging out the clothes to dry
is "hingen oot the vasching" and sounds pretty close to the "Vestlander"
"hing ut vasken"!

Yours aye

Iain Laird