Re: Motto

Hello Neil And all,
I hope I do not need permission to offer this quote?
See the booklet entitled, "ROSSLYN CHAPEL" by The Earl of Rosslyn on page 14
ist paragraph -- "The memorial is surmounted by an artichoke and bears the
Caithness coat of arms and the family motto, 'Commit thy verk to God' ".
Yes, it is spelled verk and not work!
Gerald Gibbons

On 20-Oct-99, Neil Sinclair/Peggy Rintoul wrote:
> Laurel posed an excellent question on mottos and one I have thought of yet
> have never found an answer. In fact in any research I have conducted on
> family crests and tartans, I never found any clue or authority as to where
> any of the clan mottos originated and why. Any enlightenment is appreciated.
> Neil Sinclair Toronto/PEI/Argyle

Regards