Re: AUTOPOST: Guest Book Entry [Angela]

At 17:36 13/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Author:   Angela
>Date:     Monday, September 13, 1999
>
>Contact me if you're a descendant of the "Clouston's"- possibly of the
>Sinclair Clan...and if you can help me connect to my family tree. My Great
>Grandfather came to Canada and settled in or around Lower Fort Garry.
>Later it became to be known as "Selkirk" Manitoba. Apparently the town was
>named after Lord Selkirk who I think was also a Scot but I'm not sure.
>Help me in my search. Sincerely, 21 year old Angela Clouston.
>
>It may interest you to know that J. Storer Clouston is the recognised
>authority on
    Orcadian history.  He is no longer alive but his work is essential
reading for anyone
   wishing to understand the history of the islands and the Sinclair
association with
   Orkney and Shetland..

   As for the name of Clouston it is now widely scattered throughout
Orkney.  The name
   comes from a farm called Clouston in the Parish of Netherbigginbg,
Stenness which
   was in possession of the family of Clouston for 14 generations until it
was sold in 1900.

  The name Clouston is included in Elsdon Smith's New Dictionary of
American Family
  names since it falls into the category of a common American surname.

A folklore interpretation of the name suggests that a newly born baby was
found abandoned
on a doorstep with a clew (ball) of wool and a stone beside him.  The child
was adopted and
given the name "Clew-stone".  It is correctly pronounced as 'Clooston'.

Earliest records show a WIlliam Clouston as having been in the service of
the King of
France in 1449.

Niven Sinclair