Who are the Lairds?

an occupational description we of the surname Laird are very much a family of
the same name, and in Caithness, as most of the familys, including the
Sinclairs, of Norse origin.  In investigating our ancestry, we have yet to
identify a Laird who was a Laird (in the landed sense). We have recently
identified one real Laird (landed), William Laird of Glenhuntly in 1777, and
are looking for more information about him.  A variation of his Arms has also
been found matriculated by a Laird in England.  For the moment it is
speculation that our original Norse name may have adapted to spelling in the
same way as the Scottish "lord" or "landowner".  In Western Norway, our point
of origin, I have found old farm names beginning with "Leir", e.g. Leirvik,
Leirdal and Leired. The Norwegian adjective "laerd" means scholarly,erudite,
learned! On the other hand "leirdue" is a clay pigeon! There is a town and
county in Sogn called Laerdal.  In the south of Scotland we see the surname
appear  when one Roger Lawird of Berwick made an agreement with the Abbey of
Kelso relating to his land of Waldefgat in 1257.Thomas le Lanerd of
Peebleshire rendered homage in 1296.  Laird sometimes appears in Orkney and
Caithness as Leard and Leird.  I am investigating the origins of the surname
in Caithness, where Church records start around 1650.  I have entered some of
my findings in my webpage "http://ourworld.cs.com/inslaird".  There is a
thriving Laird Family Association in the USA with a webpage
"http://www.qcsi.net/lfa/" but the Laird family is not a clan in the
traditional sense, and  so my family is proud, with the Earl's permission, to
wear the Sinclair Tartans and the Badge of Sinclair.

I believe the Lairds are a "mislaid" sept of Sinclair, as Caithness families
by the name of Budge, Clyne, Lyall, Linklater and Mason are also considered
to be Sinclairs.  100 years ago there were many of the surname Laird in
Caithness and now there are but one or two.  In the Norse tradition of our
forbears, we continue to wander the world.

Yours aye

Iain Laird