Re: Nova Scotia

Dear Privateers:
Nova Scotia!  Where on earth to begin?!?!
It acquired its name from a colony of Scots in the early 1600's sponsored by
the Scottish crown and the main energizer being Sir William Alexander. See
Mark Finnan "the First Nova Scotian" (Formac 1997).   The Territory then was
taken over by the French and was known as Acadie (Acadia) the inhabitants of
which were expelled upon the victory of the British at the Battle of the
Plains of Abraham in 1759.  They went south to the French West Indies but
many ended up in Louisiana and gave us the name and music known as "Cajun".
Many Scots who were cleared off the land in the subsequent decades ended up
in various parts of Nova Scotia and especially Cape Breton. This past
weekend I spent some wonderful hours with John Morrison of Sydney, Cape
Breton Island, N.S. a fine man and a brother piper.  His ancestors arrived
in 1820 from South  Uist, and his particular valley was shared by MacDonalds
and MacMillans from the Hebrides for over 4 generations.  All were Gallic
speakers until this generation.  John doesn't speak but he knows when
someoone is speaking Gallic by the construction of their sentences and the
full use of the scale of the voice.
Here is a statistic:  In 1820, the number of Gallic speakers in Scotland was
200,000 while those who spoke Gallic outwith the country of Scotland was
over 1,000,000.
There is so much material on Nova Scotia from the music to the people, to
the hardscrabble existence to the culture  thhe list is endless.  Rob Cohn
who is a member of this list, is in a terrific position to get you a reading
list if you so desire.
Yes, the Bricklin was produced in Nova Soctia with the Provincial support
back in the '70's It was a gull-wing, high-end sports car which actually was
a good car but didn't take off immediately and everyone then got cold feet.
Kinda what like what happened to the DeLorean.
Our Prime Minister's name is Jean Chretien and I don't hear Bossa Nova in
that name no matter how bad your French may be.  The previous Prime
Ministers were: Kim Campbell, Brian Mulroney, John Turner, Joe Clark and the
very famous Pierre Elliot Trudeau and still no Bossa Novas .  Having written
that, I now get it ... the pun on Nova Scotia  ... Bossa Nova????   Kinda
cute but provinces (note, not states like the republic to the south) are run
by legislatures that are basically Parliaments with PREMIERS as head of
cabinet  not Prime Ministers as in the National Government.