Re: hello, cousins!

Constance,  I found an Archibald D. Sinclair buried in our city cemetery,  Muscatine, Iowa.  Buried in 1920. I saw the abt.  by his name ...any connection?  there is a Martha Sinclair buried with him.
-----Original Message-----
From: Constance Sinclair and Steve Cordis <pilgrim@sonic.net>
To: sinclair@mids.org <sinclair@mids.org>
Date: Friday, July 23, 1999 1:52 PM
Subject: hello, cousins!

Hello again, cousins! And thank you for your notes of encouragement when a crash intercepted my message and I wasn't sure what had gotten through. So I'll start from the beginning as I know it.
    My gg grandfather was Donald Sinclair, born about 1800 on Islay, Scotland. He married Sarah Sinclair, born abt 1806 on Islay, Scotland, apparently not a blood relative, on January 27, 1829. (I have written to Neil and Toni that this was a cousin- but in rechecking my files found that this was an error.) They had seven sons and one daughter all born on Islay, near the parish of Kilchoman:
    John T. Sinclair abt.1824-1914
    Archibald Sinclair abt. 1827-1920
    Donald Sinclair abt 1834-1911
    Neil Sinclair abt 1837-1906
    Flora Bell Sinclair 1841-1936
    Duncan Sinclair 1843-1926
    Alexander Sinclair 1845-1932
    Malcolm Sinclair abt 1851

    In the early 1850s, the three oldest sons emigrated to Ontario to prepare the way and earn money to bring over the rest of the family. The rest of the family sailed over in 1854. The journey took seven weeks and the father became ill and died on the journey and was buried at sea. My g grandfather was the son Donald Sinclair. He homesteaded in Ontario (as did the others) near Sullivan Township where he was known as "Honest Donald". The barn that he built on the homestead is still in use there.
    Meanwhile, another Sinclair family emigrated from Scotland. The father was Archibald Sinclair, born abt 1811, who was married to Mary, born about 1811(maiden name unknown). They had six children:
Catherine Sinclair born abt 1837
Archibald born abt 1843
John Sinclair born abt 1845
Mary Sinclair born 1848
Flory Sinclair born abt 1849
and unnamed girl Sinclair born abt 1851.
    At some time after the 1851 census, they emigrated to Ontario also. The daughter Mary was apparently a cousin of my g grandfather Donald. I do not know which of the parents is related to whom.
    On April 11, 1864, son Donald Sinclair from the first family married the dau Mary Sinclair of the second family in Canada (Ontario). They had six children:
Annie Sinclair b. abt 1867
Mary Sinclair abt 1868
Sarah Sinclair abt 1871
Archibald Johnston Sinclair 1878-1963
Donald "Daniel Alexander" Sinclair 1884-1962
Flora Bell "Laura" Sinclair 1891-1977

    Donald Sinclair, known as Dan, or "Donald's Donald", was my grandfather. He married Margaret "Madge" McColl Spears and had 9 children, the first of whom was adopted:
George Parkhurst, Donald William Dryden Sinclair, Gordon Sinclair, Robert "Robin"Sinclair, Mary SInclair, Annie Sinclair, Cecil Sinclair , Stanley Sinclair, and
Cameron Sinclair.
    Cameron Sinclair is my dad, and he moved to the US and became a naturalized citizen, and  I was born here.
    I am very excited to hear of such an interest in the Argyll Sinclairs (as most of you probably know, the Isle of Islay is off Argyll and considered part of it). My family stories say that the family was "Highland Scotch" and all spoke Gaelic. I would be so excited to make connections and find Scottish-origin cousins, and to put together some of the family history back in the "old country".
                                                Sincerely,     Constance Sinclair