Re: Queen Margaret

Well said, Niven, as is everything you've contributed
to the list.  I can remember my grandfather saying
that ancestors are not to lean upon, but to live up
to.  How lucky we are to have such guidelines for
living!

Penny

---Niven Sinclair <niven@niven.co.uk> wrote:

<HR>
Dear Laurel,<br>
I have contacted my antiquarian bookshops and put in
an order for
"St Margaret Queen of Scotland" written<br>
by Alan J. Wilson and, as soon as I can obtain a
copy, it will be sent to
you<br>
In front of me (as I type this reply) I have a small
pamphlet which was
prepared by Wendy Sinclair  for the<br>
900th Commemoration of St Margaret's death in 1993.<br>
Wendy writes:<br>
     "I found the subject of this booklet a most
challenging,
intriguing and perilous<br>
       walk through a very difficult period of
history in which
facts and legends were<br>
       closely interwoven".<br>
This has always been my own difficulty and I was
pleased to find that it
was also shared by the author of "The<br>
Sinclairs of England" (Thomas Sinclair, M.A.) who
wrote:<br>
     "To give breathing room, it may be said that the
element of
uncertainty is continually<br>
       present in all genealogical and historic
details".    He goes on to say: "The wings
of<br>
       imagination must not be clipped too closely.
Mythology
has its own particular charm<br>
       as it undoubtedly carries its very invaluable
offering of
truth to the eyes and hearts of <br>
       those who know its right worthy message".<br>
Having made this point, it should be added that the
Norse sagas were
considered to be largely mythological.<br>
We now know that they are probably amongst the most
accurate of
historical documents.<br>
History is also to be found:<br>
        in the faces of people<br>
        in the language they speak<br>
        on the land beneath our feet<br>
        in our traditions, customs and
superstitions<br>
        and in our genes because:<br>
          can never be driven out of the blood'<br>
</b></i>Charlotte in her e-mail yesterday said that
she had been brought
up to believe that being a St Clair/Sinclair was
the<br>
greatest gift of all.  That remark brought a tear to
my eye.
It said it all.  We have an exceptional lineage of
which we<br>
can all be justifiably proud but, with it,  comes
responsibilities
and obligations.<br>
You may ask: "What can I do?"<br>
You can join your Clan Association so that you and
your children can get
strength and inspiration from our past history.<br>
children need
to know about their roots so that they can be given
the strength<br>
to survive in the increasingly tormented and troubled
World which they
are about to inherit.  They need to know that being<br>
gift of all and, in
that knowledge, let them walk humbly, speak softly
and act
courageously.<br>
"Guts", as Churchill once said , "is only another
word for
courage but it is the one quality which guarantees
everything
else".  <br>
It has been the hallmark of the Sinclairs for a
thousand turbulent and
tempestuous years.<br>
Niven Sinclair
<BR>
[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list,
sinclair@mids.org
[ To get off or on the list, see
http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html