Re: St. Clair VA/WV

At 22:20 05/07/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Amber, I knew that there were more of us out there!  I have been reading
>this
>list for a year wondering where everyone had gone.  It seemed that only
>StClairs from other parts of the world were interested, but I couldn't see
>how that could be possible as my g.Aunt Mary always assured us that there
>was
>nothing more wonderful than to be a Virginian other than if you could also
>be
>graced with StClair blood!!  I grew in Giles Co. Va.  My mothers family
>llived in Southwestern Va. and West Va. Let me know where yours are from and
>maybe we connect on the twig.    Charlotte Gellis
>

>Hi Charlotte:
>
>I'd love to find a connection.  My St. Clair is listed at
>http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~am1/stclair.html
>
>I MAY have found a connection to James St. Clair & wife Elizabeth (I'm
>betting Cline surname) both b. ca 1794 as parents of my William St. Clair.
>If you think there may be a connection let me know.  I have been in contact
>with Jean Grigsby and all she knows for sure is that we're part of the
>Bedford VA St. Clair bunch because of the given names of William's siblings.
>
>Let me know!
>
>Amber
>
>To Amber and Charlotte,

Yes, there are plenty of Sinclairs/ St Clairs in Virginia.  I have met hundreds of them.  It is not
unusual for them to have gatherings of up to 600 people.

They also produce their own newsletter which is known as "Tally Ho"
For further information about this newsletter, please contact:

Maude Sinclair Judkins
1612 N.Armistead Avenue,
Hampton, VA 23666

Their guiding spirit used to be Dr Caroline Sinclair, the author of "The Kidnapped Child" which
was about the heir to the Earl of Caithness being kidnapped and taken to Virginia as a child.
Unfortunately, Caroline passed away some four years ago - shortly after my own visit to Virginia.

Caroline had the rare distinction of being admitted to the Virginian "Hall of Fame" for her work as an
educationist.  She was  a truly wonderful person.  Happily, I was able to show her and her friend, Elizabeth
Ennis, around Rosslyn Chapel at the time of the launch of  The Friends of Rosslyn and, later, to visit them
at Richmond, Virginia.

If Jim Jefferson Sinclair looks in on this Discussion Group, I'd like to renew my acquaintance with him.

Niven Sinclair

[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@mids.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html