Re: AUTOPOST: Guest Book Entry [Suzanne Chappel (nee Groat)]

At 23:46 02/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Suzanne,
>      Our earliest Sinclair link is James Sinclair born abt. 1789 to Barbra
>Groat born 1805, they were married in Sandwick Orkney in 1816.  She was an
>illigitimate child; her mother was a servant (Isabella Johnston) her father
>John Cathol-as per her death record.  Does this link with any other info you
>have?            Marilyn

Suzanne,

I can't give you precise information about your own family but, if you
write to
the Archivist, Council Chambers, Kirkwall,  Orkney, Scotland they should be
able to help if only to put you in touch with the Church Records at Sandwick.

Generally, the Groats, like the Sinclairs, came from Caithness (hence the
furthest
North Point is known as John o' Groats) where a Hugh Grot is mentioned as
early
as 1496.

A Malcolm Groat of |Tankerness is mentioned in the Rentals of 1595 as is a
William Groat (also of Tankerness and presumably his son) in 1627.

The Groats held a good position in Orkney until recent times.

Niven Sinclair