Re: Blow the Trumpet loudly. Louder

I take umbrage with some of your points I have internoted them
----- Original Message -----
From: John S. Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>
To: <sinclair@jump.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 1999 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: Blow the Trumpet loudly.

> >Flanders  and Picardy were never part of the Norman domain they were
> >Burgandian, Hapsburg and Frankish where would William get Flemish troops?
> >
> >Douglas is a well known name the Black Douglases in 1449 and his band of
> >tratiors stain the pages of Scots history the King James II had to almost
> >elimate them to regain the Kingdom. James Douglas the Earl of Morton wared
> >aginst the crown until 1572 in civil war.  King James V in his minority  was
> >held under duress by Archibald Douglas. They are many other instances of the
> >pages of history being smeared with Douglas treachery.
>
> Douglas was a Galloway family.  Malcolm III was the first King of Scots
> to make Galloway more or less part of the kingdom.  Galloway was the wild
> west of Scotland in the times of Malcolm III, David I, and up through those
> of Robert the Bruce.  The Black Douglas was best known for raiding the north
> of England, which caused mothers to teach their children a rhyme about
> behaving or the Black Douglas would get you.

Incorrect see Fueds,Forays and Rebellions John L Roberts Edinburgh University Press 1999

Douglas is best know as a traitor see History of the Western Highlands and Isle D. Gergory Edinburgh 1881 2 edition The Scottish Highlands a Short History, c300-1746 D. Mitchell Edinburgh 1957

> One reason for the Bruce family being granted land in Annandale was to help
> contain the wild lands of Galloway.  However, as everyone knows Sir James
> Douglas was one of the Bruce's main lieutenants (see Barbour's Brus,
>   http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/www/english/comet/starn/poetry/brus/contents.htm
> A poets view not History
> ), and in the famous incident of
> the attempt to carry Bruce's heart to the Holy Land it was Sir James Douglas,
> Sir Robert Logan and Sir William Keith who fought at Teba with William and
> John Sinclair.
>
> As for the origin of the Douglas name, in what I quoted previously I was
> quoting from scotclans, as I said; I know nothing more about it than that.
> See:
>  http://www.scotclans.com/clans/douglas.htm
> See also:
>  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Heritage/FSCNS/Scots_NS/Clans/Douglas.html

see Scottish Family History M. Stuart Edinburgh 1930
> Incidentally, citing and preserving sources is something we all would
> do well to do better.
>
> Please note that I take no issue with John Duguid's version; I have no
> Gaelic and he as a Scot in Scotland should know a lot better than me
> about Gaelic name derivations.

Douglas is not a Highland clan and as such would not share the "Irish tounge" I am a Scot with lands in Aberdeenshire so what

> >Sinclair stood with William, David, Malcom, Alexander the Bruce and in
> >Dunbar for King and country  against Cromwell. After the Act of Union we
> >were loyal to our King. Archibald, first Viscount Thurso, was George VI
> >Minster of Air in WWII.
> >
> >No page of history speaks of Sinclair as traitors.
> >
> >Sinclair
>
> Probably so, although there were plenty of instances of Sinclairs failing
> to win the day, as at Altimarlach, and as when Oliver Sinclair lost one
> against the English (I know some people on this list know that latter story;
> does somebody want to tell it?).

Failing to win the day as Oliver at Solway Moss did is a hell of a lot different than being a tratior