Re: The Orkney Sinclairs

At 13:59 13/06/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Any idea where in New Zealand or his name?
>
>>From: Cmstott@aol.com
>>To: sinclair@jump.net
>>Subject: Re: The Orkney Sinclairs
>>Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:31:18 EDT
>>

>>I just recently started researching the Sinclair side of my family and we
>>have letters from my great-great grandfather's mother and father who lived
>>in
>>the Orkaney Islands.  My gg-grandfather was Jerome Sinclair.  I don't have
>>the letters with me but they even have addresses on them of the family.  I
>>know he had a brother that went to New Zealand.
>>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.
>>[ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>
>Jerome is a very unusual name and, as the Sinclairs had the habit of
keeping the same family
names cascading down through the generations, I have isolated a Jerome
Sinclair from the
Conyar Branch of the Sinclair family in Orkney who were themelves a cadet
branch of the Sinclairs
of Beboran, Harra.

Jerome Sinclair was shipmaster in Stromness according to a Disposition by
one Edward Sinclair
of Campster to which Jerome Sinclair was a witness together with his
servant,  James Allen.						                  He He or his son his son (if
his son was also named Jerome) appear in various documents dated
1718, 1725, 1748, 1752, 1758, 1761 and 1770.

Jerome  had a son called Charles who inherited Beboran in Harra.  His
signature appears on a
document dated 1758.

Not surprisingly,Charles also had a son named Jerome Sinclair who inherited
Beboran on his father's
death.

Church records could give you more up to date information about subsequent
members of this family.
I will be in Orkney next month filming (from a helicopter) the Holy Island
of Eynhallow so won't have time
to do any further investigation.  Try writing to the Archivist, Town Hall,
Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland.
They are usually quite helpful if you give them something to latch on to.

Niven Sinclair