Re: Holy Grail

At 18:13 05/06/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello
>I am looking for information about the Clan connection to the Holy Grail.
Why and How it is connected with Rosslyn Chapel.

>I would like to know if our Clan has any known curses against it.
>
>I would also like to know the meaning of the Clan name.
>
>I have been learning about our family heritage since childhood and am very
interested in any clues you could give me.

>Thank you
>Shirley Sinclair
>Your message, which will be sent to everyone
>who has subscribed to the list sinclair@jump.net.

Shirley,

Obtain a copy of Andrew Sinclair's "Sword and the Grail" which you can
order from Ian
Sinclair at Noss Head.

The St Clairs were the Knights of the Grail; the protectors of the True
Cross - a part of which was brought to Scotland by the Saxon Princess,
Margaret who was accompanied by William 'the Seemly' St Clair - so called
because he was (and I quote) 'perfect in all his members'.  Hence we have
Holyrood Abbey (where many Sinclairs are buried) and Holyrood
Palace in Edinburgh.  Rood = Cross.

The part of the true cross which Margaret brought to Scotland was
eventually encrusted with
precious stones.  It was stolen by Edward I of England in one of his many
raids on Scotland
but it was returned to Scotland by the Treaty of Northampton.  (At the same
time the Scots
were offered the "Stone of Destiny" as part of the deal but they, knowing
it was a fake, refused to accept it.  Alas, the "Black Rood" (as it was
known) was again stolen by the
English but mysteriously 'disappeared' at a time when Sir Patrick Sinclair
of Dryden was
negotiating for the return of Northumbria to Scotland.  It is stated that
he returned "well pleased" with his negotiations. Well, we know that
Northumbria was not 'given' to Scotland
(nor did the Scots ever expect that it would) so what made him "well
pleased" with the outcome of his visit?

It is my considered opinion that the "Holy Rood" lies in the vaults of
Rosslyn Chapel as does a Black Madonna which was sacred to the Templars and
to the Gypsies.

Niven Sinclair