Re: Re: Origin of Sinclair-St. Clair the Hermit

Thanks for this quick follow-up from St. Clair sur Epte.

Richard, this seems like your date of 834 is correct.  There is confusion on
the 911 and 912 dates.  All records have consistently given 911 as the date
of the signing of the treaty.  1000 years later in 1911 there was a
celebration when the first statue of Rollo was erected at Rouen.  But it was
the following year, 1912 that the statue was commemorated in Fargo, ND and
perhaps also that date in Alesund, Norway.  So through the years perhaps
people have subtracted 1000 years from 1912 and come up with the 912 date.
    Now unless someone comes up with a correction to the 834 death date for
St. Clair, I will have to completely rewrite my next article.  Also everyone
with Morrison's Sinclair history should correct the date on page 18.  And
all copies to be sold, should be corrected.  The other date worked so nicely
because I was able to almost connect St. Clare to Rollo in time and place
and make an interesting story but I have learned that the real story will
always be more interesting than the invented one.

    Just to make sure that someone during these 1100 years didn't change the
date from 884 to 834, we should look for more verification of the date.
    I mulled this over most of the night.  I wish I or someone representing
the clan could find some contacts at the Vatican library who could provide
us with copies of the documents surrounding St. Clair and his cannonization
(if they still exist?).  This could perhaps give us a really good story. We
might learn, when he left England, what monastary or monastaries that he was
associated with and for how long, thus enabling a guess at his birth date
and where he might be at certain times.  We might find out who the
participants in his murder really were, etc.

    So is there anyone out there that has connections that can get us this
information?  We must try to get source information  rather than repeat the
same old misinformation.
Laurel