From: Gordon Holmes <lafleur@home.com>
To: sinclair@jump.net <sinclair@jump.net>
Date: Thursday, May 27, 1999 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: The Orkney Sinclairs

>My gggg grandfather "William the Elder" was born on Orkney and became a
>Chief Factor for the H.B.C. in Manitobia and the start of my mothers
>side of the family. I was wondering if your people were closly related
>to mine..? Thanks, in kinship, Gordon Vaughan Sinclair Holmes
>
>MSiperek@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>>     I believe that you may desend from the same line that I do.  My great
>> grandfather Alexander Sinclair was born in OrkneyJan. 2, 1872 in St.
>> Margaret's Hope and had a brother Robert who was born Jan. 1, 1869 in St.
>> Margaret's Hope.  There were 12 children in Robert's and Alexander's
family.
>> Let me know if you think this is the same family.   I have attached a
copy of
>> their parents 50th aniversary article.  Hope we find the link.   I was
told
>> by a 90 year old man in St. Margaret's Hope last year that one of the
>> Sinclairs married a Norquay.  If this is the same family, I have some
>> pictures I would be happy to share.                       Marilyn
>>
>>   -----------------------------------------------------------------------
-
>> >From a newspaper article from the Orkney Islands-
>>
>>         GOLDEN WEDDING IN SOUTH RONALDSHAY
>>
>>         Mr. and Mrs. Robert Sinclair, Oyce, attained their jubilee of
marraiage on Wednesday of this week, having been married by Rev. Peter G.
Gilrath, parish minister (who died this month) on 16th June 1859.  As Mr.
Sinclair went to the island of Swona for his better half, Miss Allan, the
marriage ceremony took place there.  This created no small stir, as there
had been no such ceremony on that island within the memory of the
inhabitants of that time.  Mrs. Sinclair's brother still resides in Swona,
while she has a widowed sister in St. Margaret's Hope.  The happy pair were
both of the same age, 26, when united together and have now reached the ripe
age of 76 years.  They have spent those fifty years in peace and prosperity;
all of their friends and well-wishers desire that their latter end may be
even better than their beginning; and they have received many tokens of
friendship and goodwill from far and near on this auspicious occasion.  It
should be mentioned that Mr. Sinclair like all who bear that ancient and
honoured name, represents a branch of the famous "St. Clairs of the Isles."
Belonging to his family were eight brothers, namely, Malcolm, Alexander,
John, James, George, William, Isaac, and Robert.  Only two are still alive-
Alexander who has for a number of years resided in Galt, Toronto,  and
Robert, whose golden wedding has just taken place.  George Sinclair was well
known as the respected postmaster of St. Margaret's Hope, while William and
Isaac were farmers at Lower and Upper Olad, and John at Gard, near to one
another.  Mr. and Mrs. Robert Sinclair have had a large family of eleven
children, while 5 sons and 5 daughters are still alive, some of them being
abroad.  There is one in Africa, one in Australia, two in America, two in
Liverpool, one in Glasgow, one in Barbsley, Yorkshire, and one at home.  As
far as grandchildren, they number eighteen.  At present the aged couple are
cheered and comforted by the presence of their son, William along with his
wife from New York, who have timed their visit for this happy event.  Old
Mr. Sinclair in his younger days was very fond of music and for 14 years was
the precantor of St. Mary's Kirk under the Rev. Messre??(hard to read copy),
Walker and Forbes.  And for 14 years he resided in Olad- 1861-1875- before
he came to his present residence.