Re: Of Castles, Clans and Campbells

-------

In message <007701be6cc0$7be553e0$1d875ad1@compaq>, Neil Sinclair/Peggy
Rintoul <rinsin@globalserve.net> writes
>Dear list members and those concerned with clan wars;
>
>I glanced through my personal emails from the list this afternoon and noted some
>confusion around the Campbell-Sinclair and castle side. Perhaps a restatement
>would be helpful.
>I am satisfied from most of the clan histories of Scotland that the last clan
>war was between Campbell of Glenorchy (The Duke of Argyll Line) and the
>Sinclairs of Caithness. But before everyone starts frowning let me share the
>rest of the Story.
>
>The Sinclair estate was (prior to any clan war), virtually bankrupt. George
>borrowed from the Campbells among others to shore up the estates. You must
>remember because of changing economic conditions many clans were no longer
>surviving economically. In fact by the end of 1600 the country was 6 years away
>from the Act of Union and 45 years from the legal abolishment of the clan
>system.  This all said the Campbells came to differences over this amount of
>debt owed to them and marched to collect it from George. That was quite a hike.
>There was a battle but if you are thinking along the Braveheart lines you may be
>mislead. We have a handful on each side not every man available at arms. The
>Sinclairs plainly lost according to every history. The Campbells claimed
>Caithness and the Sinclair Estates as security and legal entitlement. They were
>after the rents naturally.
>
>Having no other recourse George approached the Court of Scotland, I believe it
>was then the Privy Council equal to the House of Lords at the time. It was the
>only court that could address the matter and the highest court in the land. It
>turned out that the force of arms was dimly looked on by the court (quite
>rightly just as they do today) and the Estate was awarded back to Sinclair. (I
>have yet to find what happened to the debt.) This completed (it took some 3
>years) the old feudal system could revert back to Sinclair again, but here too
>there was difficulty. The rent system was in disarray, the economy around
>Scotland collapsing and many clansmen were leaving to seek their fortune
>elsewhere.
Just a side comment - some Sinclair tenants of land also at this time
became owners - my Sinclair family among them.  Now, there was also a
religious issue, or, to be more precise, a question of what particvlar
form of Christian belief they held.  I have found it quite interesting
that I have already mentioned the fact that Sir William Sinclair founded
the first Baptist church in Scotland (at Keiss in Caithness and that
church is still alive.)  Now ( bar one response)  I have had virtually
no response save the one which said that the Scottish origin was not
known.  Gosh!  What is our site about?  Please don't confuse the
Scottish Baptists with other groups.

I would really like to hear from Jean Grisby on this issue since it is
obvious that she is hugely knowlegeable and very erudite.  What can she
tell us about the Scottish Baptists?

--
Jean Haddow