Re: Scotland, castles

-------

In message <19990304013934.14195.qmail@hotmail.com>, Jenny-Louise Coster
<jennycoster@hotmail.com> writes
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>Hi everyone,
Hi Jenny - I sorry to hear you had the real nasty flu that's going the
ounds. Anyway you ask about the Castle of Mey - the Queen mother comes
there every summer.
It has a beautiful garden - I was taken to see the garden as a child
and I've seen it since.  It is full of plants that should grow in the  n
orth of Scotland.

>I had the misfortune of having the flu and so stuck at home I started
>reading over some of the family papers and stuff that mother has.
>I came across a facinating news paper article from The Sun, Tuesday,
>June 12th 1956.
>
>The article is all about the Queen Mother taking residence at the
Castle
>of Mey. A castle that my own nana always talked of.
>The article goes on to talk about the Sinclair's and the history of the
>castle.
>It also says this story;
>" A turret-room which used to be sealed up now is just another bedroom.
>It was said to be haunted by the ghost of a fair young maiden. Legend
>has it that long ago a daughter of one of the earls was locked in the
>room because she had fallen in love with a farm worker.
>From the window she flung herself to death in the courtyard below."
>I have never heard that story.
>It also talks about the views of the rocky Caithness coast to the
>red-cliffted Orkney Islands.
Yes - the castle looks across the Pentland Firth and the wildest waters
in northern Europe to Orkney.

>There is a picture of the castle and little interesting snippets of
>information about the castle and Caithness and to someone who is not
>familiar with the castles and Caithness it makes facinating reading.
>I haven't quite found my link to all of these wonderful places yet but
>the thrill of knowing that somewhere along the way my ancestors all were
>apart of such a great country like Scotland.
>
>Is anyone able to tell what the relationship was like between the clans,
>I found an old photo with to Mcleod people in the picture in thier kilts
>and standing outside a castle?
Just don't know about the McLeods

>I heard that the Queen Mother might return the castle to the Sinclair's
>is this true?

The reality is that the Queen Mother owns the Castle of Mey, she bought
it from the family who now live on Orkney at the House of the Northern
Gate. She actually returns every year in August to the castle which is
her own home.

--
Jean Haddow
[