Re: Class Project

-------

At 03:40 PM 3/3/99 -0800, you wrote:
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>Dear Children of the fourth Grade class.  I live in Portland, OR and
>received your message from our Sinclair discussion web site.  Your class
project is tracing distances in miles but our Sinclair History goes back to
Norway where a Viking named Rollo grew up.  As an adult he lead a band of
Norsemenin raids in Norway, England and finally France.  The French King,
Charles the Simple, had had been fighting Vikings for years but could not
stop them from destroying his country then he had a good idea.  He signed a
treaty in 912 with Rollo the Viking at a little village named St. Clere.

Rollo agreed to change his religeon to Christianity and to be the vassal of
King Charles.

>    Charles gave him the title of Duke of Normandy.  Rollo was a very wise
and honorable vassal to King Charles and kept other Norsemen (Vikings) from
bothering France any more.  That area where the Norsemen settled took on
the name of Normandy after them. 1000 years the French people had forgiven
the Norsemen for their raids and held a celebration in the city of Rouen,
France.  3 statues of Rollo were made.  One was placed at Rouen, France,
one at Alesund, Norway where Rollo was from, and the third statue was
placed in
>Fargo, ND.
>
>    Rollo's descendants became the most famous people in all of Europe.
His grand Daughter, Emma m. King Athelred of England and when he died she
married the new King of England, King Knut who was also King of Denmark and
Norway.

>    Rollo's great great grandson was William the Conqueror who in 1066
invaded England.  From that time forward all the Kings and Queens of
England can trace their ancestry back to Rollo and this is true of most of
the rest of Europe.

    A cousin of William the Conqueror was a man named William (the
>seemly)St. Clair who went to Scotland and was a friend of that King.  This
William St. Clair was the ancestors of all the St. Clair (usually
pronounced Sinclair) and Sinclairs of Scotland.  9 generations later there
was a descendant of this William the Seemly also named William who m. the
granddaughter of the King of Norway.  Because of this, their son was called
Prince Henry St. Clair.
>    In 1398 Prince Henry St. Clair sailed in 10-12 ships with 200-300 men
to Nova Scotia.  This was 98 years before Columbus came to the West Indies.
Prince Henry did not discover Nova Scotia because 400 years before other
Vikings in the days of Rollo had sailed west to Greenland and New
Foundland, Canada.  Records of his trip were kept by his navigator who was
from Venice and then the Micmac Indian legunds told of his travels around
Nova Scotia.

>    The children in the schools of Nova Scotia are studying about Prince
Henry.  There is a school curriculum written about Prince Henry's voyage.

Last year our Clan Sinclair celebrated the 600th anniversary of his arrival
in North America.   One of Prince Henry's grandsons married a lady who was
related by marriage to the wife of Christopher Columbus.  Because of this
we believe that Columbus well knew about Prince Henry's trip before
Columbus left Spain.
>    Perhaps you would like to visit our website:
>http://www.mids.org/sinclair/clanusa/

>We have many books, videos, and pamphlets that show the reasons for and
proof of Henry's voyage.

>    I am also interested in the name of your town of Matteson.  I had
ancestors who came from RI to VT and NE New York after the American Rev.
War.  Then they moved across the state of NY to OH and then to WI.  Perhaps
some of their cousins settled in your area and had a town named after them.

My Mattesons came from Denmark long ago.

>It has been nice writing to you.
>Laurel
>Portland, OR

>>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>>[ or send mail to majordomo@jump.net with this single line in the body:
>>[  info sinclair
>>[
>>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>>[
>>[           To: majordomo@jump.net
>>[
>>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>>[
>>

>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.
>[ For subscription, unusubscription, or other instructions, see
>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>[ or send mail to majordomo@jump.net with this single line in the body:
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@jump.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair