Re: The Banner mail and Flags

-------

>Thanks John
>I appreciate it, but is what I said about St. Andrew true?
>
>>From what I know, heard etc. St. Andrews cross, the white "X" on blue
>>>represents the crucifixtion of St. Andrew who insisted he was unworthy
>>>to be crucified like Christ. So he insisted that they crucify him
>>>horizontally and the "X" represents that.

True?

To quote a well-known historical character, ``What is truth?''
The story you cite is the usual one about St. Andrew.
Unfortunately, historical records in the first century A.D. were not
very good, what few there were mostly didn't survive the early Middle
Ages, and how Andrew died is not recorded in scripture, either.
The Catholic Encyclopedia, for example, does not include the Saltire
as part of his story:
 http://saints.catholic.org/saints/andrew.html

However, is there any reason to disbelieve the story?
It's in character with what little else is recorded about Andrew,
and it doesn't even contain any miraculous elements.

If you want my opinion, I don't have any reason to disbelieve it,
but I haven't researched whatever sources it comes from to
form any opinion beyond that.

Maybe somebody else on the list knows more about the story.

Thanks,
John
--
John Sinclair Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>