Re: Does anyone have a really good dictionary?

-------

In message <36D982C4.F25CDF0E@earthlink.net>, Diane Hettrick
<dhettrick@earthlink.net> writes
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>"Desiderata"
>
>I started doing web searches on this one, because I remember a time when I
>couldn't go a half hour without running into a copy of Desiderata "Go placidly
>amid the noise and haste..." someone even carved it in wood and gave it to my
>church.
>
>Anyway, I found that the "Old St. Paul's Church, Baltimore dated maybe 1690"
>which is widely reported to be the source, is bogus!  Desiderata is a poem,
>written in 1927 by Max Ehrmann.  The Desiderata of Happiness  ISBN
>0-517-59069-7. The copyright is owned by Crown Publishers, Inc. New York.
>http://www.dap.nl/Desiderata.html
>
>I'm on at least 3 mailing lists for Baltimore and Maryland.  I'm going to see
>if anyone knows if anything is in Old St. Paul's Church.  email me if you want
>to know.

Diane - yes. that desiderata is in a sense "bogus".  That is beautiful
is surely the case but that doesn't detract from its widely known
message. However, the term was widely used in mediaeval Europe to mean
quite simply outcomes and goals that people desired.

--
Jean Haddow
[