No Subject

-------

From: IrishCJH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:54:59 EST
To: sinclair@jump.net
Subject: Re: getting off the list

I do not want to remove myself from this list.  However, I have had difficulty
removing myself from other lists that weren't what I thought they were.  My
experience may not apply to this list.

Sometimes when we subscribe to a list, the server or 'thing-ma-bob' (precise
computer terminology) that sorts and sends us our mail actually has a
different address than what we see.  Periodically the computer techie or guru
or system administrator makes a subtle change in that technical address.  The
list keeps sending the subscriber info which the 'thing-ma-bob' recognizes as
no longer the current address but is smart enough to internally change the
address so the subscriber keeps getting mail without knowing that the subtle
difference even exists.  The problem arises when the subscriber attempts to
unsubscribe and sends the appropriate message to the list.  The list 'thing-
ma-bob' can't find the subscriber's internal numeric address on its list.  The
gist of this long winded explanation is that it often takes some searching
through all that gobble-do-gook at the end of your message to determine how
the list recognizes the subscriber and to mail the request to unsubscribe with
an explanation to that effect.

I am quite confident that I have confused and confounded as many readers as
possible.  It was not my intent,  but......maybe I have helped somebody.

Connie in Missouri
[
[ or send mail to majordomo@jump.net with this single line in the body:
[  info sinclair