Re: Sinclairs in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC, Wash, Oregon, Montana, ND & SD, USA

-------

Just found this letter in my Out Mail.  Don't know why it didn't go days
ago.
===========
--Serena,
What a lovely and interesting history you have.  I remember hearing
somewhere that a ? Sinclair led a group of fur trappers from the Red River
area of Canada to Ft. Vancouver.  There were a lot of Indian marriages among
them as I remember. Many settled in WA and west of Portland,
OR.  There is a beautiful "Scotch Church" west of here in their old
community.
Here is another thought:  At a recent Highland Games (Portland, OR) I was
told by a Sinclair descendant from Orkney that the English liked to recruit
Orkney men for their fur trading enterprises because they were so hardy that
they did well in Canada.  I think it was he that told me about the Sinclair
leading the people from Red River.  WOuld you like me to try to put you in
contact with him?
Laurel

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I joined your list a week or so ago and it's
>time to introduce myself.  I am not a direct
>Sinclair descendant, although after obtaining
>more info from my Auntie in Saskatchewan by
>phone this afternoon, I may very well have a
>Sinclair GGGrandmother in my mothers line .
>
>I am descended from Titameg who was likely a
>Cree Indian woman.  She was born about 1755
>in York Factory which was one of the earliest
>Hudson Bay Company Trading Posts on Hudson's
>Bay.  She was married 'according to the
>custom of the country' about 1770 to John
>Favell born 1740 in Southwark, England.  When
>he died in 1784 at Fort Albany he was the
>Second-in-Command at Moose Factory.
>
>Their four known children eventually moved to
>the newly established Red River Settlement
>and over the years many more generations were
>raised in this location.  Among the branches
>of my family tree are many well known
>explorers, Chief Factors, Interpreters,
>Clerks, War Veterans and all the usual people
>that all families are made up of.
>
>Some of the early settlers to the Red River
>Settlement were Sinclairs and it is through
>the intermarriage of Sinclairs, Favells,
>Howes, Andersons, Pritchards, Mathesons, and
>many other early fur trade families that I
>find my ancestors.
>
>I have Isabella Sinclair b 1845 m abt 1866 to
>Michael Desmarias who is a GGGrandson of John
>Favell and Titameg.
>
>I have John Norman Sinclair m  Margaret
>Desmarias b 1853 in Portage la Prairie,
>Manitoba.  Michael and Margaret Desmarias
>were brother and sister.
>
>I would be more than happy to share my
>information with you if you think this might
>be your family.  These are only two of a
>number of connections, and because of my
>focus on Fur Trade Families I have collected
>info on all the families as I connect to
>them.
>
>I have some Sinclairs in Alberta, BC, Wash,
>South Dokata, Sask, and of course, Manitoba.
>Hope this wasn't boring, looking forward to
>hearing from some of you.  Happy Holidays and
>real good Hunting!!!
>

>--
>kinanaskomitin nim
>
>In friendship and sharing
>
>Serena in Whitehorse, Yukon
>

>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For subscription, unusubscription, or other instructions, see
>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>[ or send mail to majordomo@zilker.net with this single line in the body:
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair