Re: Surnames more on

Neil

Parish registers were introduced in 1538 and until the advent of civil
registration in
1837 provide the main source for tracing baptisms (not births), marriages and
burials (not deaths).  The Civil War and Commonwealth interrupted the production
of parish registers with Bishops' Transcripts ceasing for twenty years from 1642
although in 1653 a layman, confusingly known as the Parish Register, was
appointed in each parish to maintain registration. Even after the Restoration
there are many gaps in Bishops' Transcripts until the 1720s. From 1754, Lord
Hardwicke's marriage act introduced printed books of forms and the parties and
witnesses had to sign or give their marks - important evidence for literacy.

WANDA SINCLAIR
Rexdale, Ontario