Re: Melchizedek

In a message dated 2/23/2002 11:31:12 AM Mountain Standard Time,
roslinne@fone.net writes:

> Its the sequence in
> Hebrews 4 and 5. This Aaronic and Melchizedec polar structure appears to be
> based on the very important dynamic of the Logos of God and the two-mouthed
> sword, et al. It appears to be the Sword in the Stone archetype. Solve that
> and be it and one gets to join the Aaron and Melchizedec club. "Knowing
> how"
> does not necessarily mean "being able to." (I don't know where the Mormons
> are in all of that.)

Umm, no where?  Recognizing that this is pretty off topic, in LDS theology,
the priesthoods do not stand in polarity or dichotomy, but as a continuation
of priesthood authority.  The Melchizedek Priesthood comprehends the lesser,
or Levitical / Aaronic Priesthood. See McConkie, Mormon Doctrine.

In addition to the Old Testament scriptures cited, the LDS Church refers to
(among many others) New Testament scriptures such as Hebrews Ch. 5, noting
particularly  the use of the subject term in LDS theology:
v. 6: As he saith also in another place, thou are a priest for ever after the
order of Melchisedec [sic]; 10: Called of God an high priest after the order
of Melchisedec.

The LDS Church has a rather succinct summary of its tenets called The
Articles of Faith:
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0%2C4945%2C106-1-2-1%2C00.html

The Sixth is relevant to our discussion: We believe in the same organization
that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors,
teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

Glen Cook