Sir John Sinclair

While pulling every Sinclair/St. Clair I can find from the Loyalist Claims or the early military records, I came across the following info (at the end of this e-mail) on three different Sir John Sinclair (two that are father & son mention in the same document).

Curiousity, asks:

Which Sinclair families do they belong to?
Did they stay in North America or did they go back to Great Britian
Did they have any children?
And any person on this list related to them?

I also, came across a loyalist document for a George Sinclair (from Chester County, Pennsylvania who setted in New Brunswick), & a John Sinclair from New York who settled in Jamica.

Also, I have a Scottish Genealogist Society Magazine (copy is from about 1975) which has a article written about the scientist, George Sinclair (born about the 1600's) & his genealogy.  It was written by  Grant Carr-Harris, who it seems (from the acticle) has done an extensive research on the Sinclair families in Scotland.  Has anyone seen his research (or know where it can be found)???  I do know that he has written a book on the Harris Family (which shows that he came from Oakville, Ontario).  And I have talked to a renowned genealogist (in Ontario) who has informed me that Grant Carr-Harris has passed away.

WANDA SINCLAIR
Rexdale, Ontario

LOYALIST CLAIMS
AUDIT 12

Sinclair, Sir John for himself, & Lady Sinclair, Pensylvania

His father died in consequence of a wound received last War under Genr Bradock

Lady Sinclair inherited two Estates, the one in Buck County, Pensylvania, & the other near Philadelphia, called Windrow?  The Annual produce of each was £250p Annum.  Lady Sinclair had £2,000 left by Sir Jno Sinclair for the use of his Mother & himself & was put into the hands of Mr. Stephens who has never accounted for it.  He gave a ganiuty? on some transfer at New York which are now burnt.  The Deeds are in procession of Lieut Gov Elliott --Lady Sinclair has no other property in England or elsewhere --is an only son-- his father in law Col Templar who has since married Lady Sinclair has supported them both.  Col Templar has nothing now that the amount of his commission.

Sir John has nothing more than his commission of Ensign to live upon, he was ordered to Minor or by way of & his journey cost him £300.

Sir Jno Sr had 15,000 acres in York Gov't, some parts of which were cultivated & for which he was offered £7,000 --does not know it was confiscated, but has reason to think so.

A Certificate from Col Templar that Lady Sinclair Est/Lot was worth £140 a year also from Gen'l Gage that the £2,000 was left by her husband to her & her son's use -- Lady Sinclair is 45? --Sir John 18 years of age -- She was at Montreal in Canada when the Rebellion broke out.  She was obliged to come to England & has never received any Remittances from her Estates.

A certificate from Gen'l Tryon to Sir J. S. having a large tract of land.  Sior John believe that there was not profit or produce from his own Estate from the time of his Father's Death to the Rebellion.

DECISION  (£100 per annum)

His Father was a Colonel & married Lady Sinclair in America by whom he got some property.  He afterward by Grants & made it a considerable Estate.  There appears to likewise to be a Sum of Money (£2,000) seetled upon Lady Sinclair & Sir John, which is in the hands of an American who refuses payment.  Lady Sinclair presented a memorial some years ago to the Lords of the Treasury who decided upon it that it was not a Case to which they could extand any Annual Allowance upon this Principle as we apprehend that Lady Sinclair had married Col. Templar who was able to support her.  We subserive in great measure so that Doctrine as far as it apllies to annual Allowance & therefore We think that we cannot with Propriety recommend any thing to be given to Lady Sinclair.  But we feel ourselves at the same time at Liberty to give that circumstance its Weight in the Allowance which we should recommend to Sir John who is an Ensign in a Marching Regiment without Fortune.

Under all the Circumstances of this Case without imfringing the Rule properly laid down by the Treasury, We think that Sir John Sinclair should receive an allowance of  £100 a year & that it should commence for the 5th January.  We think it proper to add that wh have made the Allowance to Sir John larger with a Wish that Lady Sinclair may in some  shape or other  felt the Benefit of it.

LOYALIST CLAIMS
AUDIT 12

Sir John St. Clair presents his compts to the Commissions of American Claims and hope they will grant him an order for the rest of his pension on the American Establishment of £100 per annum.  He would have done himself the honor of waiting on the Commission but being lately recovered from an illness presents him but his friend Wm. Cole the Bearer has been so kind as to appear for him as he heard this day that their Commission expires tomorrow.

London Wednesday Morg?? (His signature???)
March 24, 1790

Mr Cotton presents his compliments to Sir John Sinclair and acquairts hime that he has not received any orders from the commison for American claims, respecting the payment of his Allowance of £100 per annum, from the 5 Jan 1789, and would recomend it to him to apply to the Commision this day, as their commision expires tomorrow.

Trreasury Chambers
Wedn'd morn.