RE: Daniel Sinclair

Yes, I have come across that particular Daniel.  He was the father of my
great-grandmother.  My great-grandmother was Catherine.  She was one year
old when Daniel and Flora (McKenzie) left Scotland and immigrated to
America, going first to Canada, staying there eight years, coming then to
Fayetteville,  N.C., where Daniel was captain of a steamboat on Cape Fear
River.  In a few months they returned to Canada, coming back to Marion
county, S.C.,(now Dillon county)in 1830, buying a large farm where they
lived until their death.  Catherine the eldest child married Andrew
Cottingham, November 17, 1840. Catherine was born 18 Feb 1819 and died April
6th, 1884.  Daniel Sinclair was born in Parish of Kilokoman, Island of
Islay, ArgyleShire, Scotland, March 24th 1794.  He died June 7th 1855. Flora
McKenzie, born in Parish of Kilokoman, Island of Islay, ArgylShire, Oct 17th
1798, and died July 27th, 1858.  Their Tombstone is in the McLucas cemetery
near Clio, S.C.  Daniel was a farmer in Marion county and Andrew apprenticed
as a carpenter.  He built the St. Paul Methodist Church in Little Rock, S.C.
It still stands in good condition.  The building and cemetery are being well
maintained by an endowment established by Mrs. Cora Stackhouse Cottingham.
It is accepted as fact, though not documented, that in 1786 Francis Asbury,
the pioneer Methodist circuit rider, organized a preaching station on the
very spot where the St. Paul's Methodist Church of Little rock was built.
Little Rock is the oldest town in the county. Daniel Sinclair's mother was
Mary Campbell Sinclair McDonald, born in Kilokoman, Scotland, 1772,
immigrated to America 1840, died June 30th, 1859.  The other children after
Catherine--I have a little information about.
     Where did you get the information that Daniel and Flora were in Marion
County  as early as 1770's?  Seems to me unlikely that there was another
Daniel and Flora in that county prior to my Daniel and Flora, especially
since you have all the children approximately correct.