Re: Sinclair Dates

At 02:05 28/12/00 -0600, you wrote:

>    [1]Tomorrow:
>    December 29
>
>    In 1170: Archbishop Thomas A Becket murdered, by King Henry II's
>    supporters.
>
>    In 1698: Darien Colony reports, Alexander Hamilton leaves for Scotland
>    with dispatches, journals etc. Major Cunningham also leaves the
>    Colony.
>
>    In 1921: William Lyon Mackenzie King, succeeded Arthur Meighen as
>    Canadian PM.
>
>References

Your recent posting of Sinclair dates refer:

When Thomas a Becket fled to France in 1163 he began to excommunicate all
thosae
who had thwarted his plans.

A translation of the Latin reads:

         "We have also excommunicated Hugh de St Clair and Thomas Fitz
Bernard who
           have taken possession of the goods and properties of the same
church of
           Canterbury without our permission."

Hugh and his fellow ex-communicates had  been guilty of taking back the
lands which the
Archbishop  had probably grabbed from them.

In the Red Book of the Treasury of Henry II with reference to the St
Clairs, it is clear that Hugh
de St Clair also held lands in Normandy as well as being in the good graces
of the Bishop of
Rochester who had granted Hugo a free Chapel (St Andrews) within his Manor
of Aeslingham
in Kent.  The St Clairs were Governors of Rochester Castle

The signatures to this valuable Charter include:

                         Hugo de Sancto Claro
                         Philip Gruer de Sancto Claro
                         another Hugo de Sancto Claro (probably a son)
                         Robert de Sancto Claro
                         Roger de Sancto Claro (a brother)
                         Robert de Clovilla
                         William Richard de Clovilla

It is worthy of note that Henry de Sancto Claro, who became "Abbot
Laurence"* of the Cistercian
Monastery on the island of Eynhallow in Orkney,  'gave' ** the Manor of
Diepham in Kent to the Church
before he was admitted to the brotherhood of Canterbury in 1146.  He was
appointed to Eynhallow in
1154 at the comparatively young age of 27  to (a) enforce the rigid
discipline of the Cistercian Order
and (b) to protect a relic or document of immense religious significance.

*  It was customary to change one's name when entering a religious order.

** Such transfers of land were common when men entered the Templars,
Custercians or other
     religious orders and were referred to as a 'corridy'