Re: St. Brennan

At 07:26 28/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I saw just a snippet of a show on tv last night. It disussed St. Brennan of
>Ireland, who apparently spent some time in the Orkneys and supposedly
>traveled to North America in the mid 900's. If this is accurate, could Prince
>Henry have had knowlege of St. Brennan and his voyage? The time frame of
>400-500 years later seems that the tales of St. Brennan would be reasonable.

Tim Severin proved that St Brennan's voyage was possible by crossing the
Atlantic in a coracle.  The Innuits were also capable of making hide boats
(holding up to 40 people) which are known to have crossed the Atlantic.

By the time of Henry Sinclair's voyage, the Atlantic was a well-known pathway.
He never claimed to be the first.  He was following in the wake of his Viking
forebears just as they had followed the Celts and others.

Niven Sinclair