Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 4:24 AM
Subject: Re: lost branch of Sinclairs

Hello Jean,

How very nice to hear from you again.  (In case you don't remember me, I'm the person who sent Donald Whyte's "Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation")

I'm so thrilled that you recognize this family, because they have been driving me crazy!
Im so close to connecting this American branch with its Canadian one, but just couldn't quite do it.  There are just too many Neils, Duncans and Alexanders in that family.
When I've sorted it out, I'll return the information to you, along with photos of the
celtic cross, and Alexander's (either father or grandfather) grave inscription, and details
back to Islay, in Argyllshire.

I'll be sitting on pins and needles!  Please let me know the postage, or other costs.

Many, many thanks!

Toni Sinclair
71 Lake Street
Grimsby, Ont. Canada
L3M 2G6

Jean Grigsby wrote:

  Toni,I can provide you with a lot on this family.  I don't have it in the computer but will try to get it in for you this week.  This is one of the families I researched during my research trip to New Orleans back in May. Please send me your mailing address.  I know I probably have it somewhere but where?Jean
----- Original Message ----- To: sinclair@matrix.netSent: Friday, October 27, 2000 5:00 AMSubject: lost branch of Sinclairs
 Hi everyone, I need help reconnecting a branch of the Sinclairs to their tree.

I have an old letter from a Neil Sinclair, who wrote that he was born in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1885.  In his early recollections he said his father's name was Neil and his uncle's name was Duncan, and they lived had in New Orleans. He also had a cousin, Alexina, (presumably Duncan's daughter) who later married a McBurney. This is the interesting part, he writes:

"Vaguely I knew that my progenitors came from Scotland and that in the proceeds of immigrating to Canada, by some untoward Act of God, their vessel was blown off course; a number of Sinclairs perished at sea and those that were saved, finally settled in New Orleans.  Of these, my father and his brother were surely in some way connected with those who survived."

Does this story shake any leaves in your collective trees?  I've found out that the writer, Neil, later moved to California, and I was able to find a death record for him - 03/09/56, and it notes that his middle name was "Bethel", his mother's maiden name.

On the Canadian front, I know he is distantly related, we also have the shipwreck story.
It happened in 1845.  I know his ancestors came to Boston Mill, Ontario, and that the body of at least one of the deceased was brought there for burial- Alexander, born 1814.  There is a magnificent celtic cross, probably 16 feet high, at the cemetery there, which reads "SINCLAIR - NEW ORLEANS'.  Maybe its there to commemorate the
rest of the family who perished.

Does this story shake any leaves in your collective trees?  How does this Neil relate?  Was he a newphew, or a grandson? What happened to his own son Neil?   I've spent days on the internet checking out Neils, but have hit a brick wall.

Any help out there?

Toni Sinclair
Niagara.