Re: Historical Records Regarding Slavery?

At 02:25 16/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>The mention of "Sinclair Plantation" reminded me of a question that crossed
>my mind recently: has anyone ever had the experience of exchanging
>information with descendants of those who worked on Southern plantations?
>
>In researching St. Clairs in Jackson Co, Missouri, the 1860 census record for
>one of the St. Clair farms noted the presence of "nine slaves."  Thinking of
>the time period, these individuals would have been freed by the time of the
>1870 census. But I wonder if they might have stayed in the area, and possibly
>used the surname St. Clair? This thought strikes me because the City
>Directories for Kansas City in the 1880s carried parenthetical racial
>notations [i.e., "(colored)" ].
>
>Any indication that some former Sinclair/St. Clair slaves retained the
>surname of the  plantation/farm owner?
>
>Chris

There are many West Indian Sinclairs including the mother of Bob Marley.

Our Clan genealogist, Nicholas Cram-Sinclair, is from Jamaica.

It is very important that we 'embrace' them into Clan membership because
they,too, are part of our history just as we are part of theirs.

Niven Sinclair