RE: Dale Hinchey's Sociology lesson

oh boy, sociology - another subject I know nothing about...

	Although you make a great many excellent points in your latest opus, your
wee scottish lassie that is earning her cut of the 70 GBP she takes in per
hour is distinctly not a sign of cultural alienation...she is the standard
bearer of alientated western youth.

	I have a 17 year-old ward whose parents are alchoholics of scottish
descent - I blame the individuals, not the clearances...She knows very well
that she can turn out exactly like her parents, but that it is up to her not
to - the responsibility rests with her intellect, not her genes...

	Instead of drinking and doing drugs, the young one has been trying to take
her clothing design business to the next level. In Canada, you can't legally
get a bank loan until you're 18, hold a credit card, vote, have sex (if
you're a girl) or do anything. You're supposed to stay in school and shut
up. There are some government programs to assist entrepreneurs, but only one
for kids under 18 - and they have to stay in school, which can sometimes be
impossible, even for the hyper-intelligent.

	The program will lend a grand total of $100 to a business person under
18...as my bright young ward put it: "that will either buy you a nice dress
and cheap shoes to turn your first trick in, or a ten bag to sell so you can
buy more to sell on the streets".

	Aside from the obvious cynicism (reality?), it's important to note the
youth point of view that the only doors open to these kids include shit jobs
that pay crap, jobs that no adult in their right mind would do, or they can
go for the real money and sell their bodies or drugs.

	It is even offered that many of these kids have university degrees, and I
submit it is because prostitutes and drug dealers can afford to pay for
University, McDonald's employees cannot. Thus anyone who needs to work to
pay for school has a very tough decision to make. Frankly, I know a number
of community leaders around the province who have dabbled in drugs to pay
their way through university. So what, it's the same as owning a bar.

	Youth prostitution is not a sign of the clearances, or the intergeneration
abdication of individual responsibility - it's a sign of the times and our
petty age-ism.

	Some of these kids under 18 are as intelligent and usefull as you or
I...who among us adresses them them that way...excepting Niven of course,
who has always paid attention to our youth...

	Are you saying it's a Scottish trait to beat the kids? I thought that also
was a western civilization issue...

		rob cohn
		halifax