Re: Prince Henry in the New World

>very very nicely put...

Indeed, both Privateers' and yours as well.

As I sit here in my mud puddle in the middle of a cow pasture,
I think that I wasn't there when the 200 Sinclairs marched from
London to Wick, but I do thank all of you on this list who provided
tips for bookstores and restaurants in Edinburgh and environs when
I was there a few weeks later.  Our weekend trip to Roslin was quite
restful, there among Henry's pile of stones, beside the 800 year old
yew tree.

  ``Some things are in our control and others not. Things in our control
  are opinion, pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are
  our own actions.  Things not in our control are body, property,
  reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own
  actions.

  ``The things in our control are by nature free, unrestrained, unhindered;
  but those not in our control are weak, slavish, restrained, belonging
  to others.  Remember, then, that if you suppose that things which are
  slavish by nature are also free, and that what belongs to others is
  your own, then you will be hindered.  You will lament, you will be
  disturbed, and you will find fault both with gods and men. But if you
  suppose that only to be your own which is your own, and what belongs to
  others such as it really is, then no one will ever compel you or
  restrain you. Further, you will find fault with no one or accuse no
  one. You will do nothing against your will. No one will hurt you, you
  will have no enemies, and you will not be harmed.''

  --Epictetus, c.135

John S. Quarterman <jsq@matrix.net>