Re: St Clairs of the Isles--Locations

At 08:42 26/09/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Ian:
>I actually have a photo-copied version myself provided by Wanda Sinclair.
>Mine looks like a photocopy of a photocopy so not great quality either.
>In addition to the copies that were actually subscribed, there were more in
>the print run that were remaindered for next to nothing.
>I have had book dealers looking for a copy for me for nearly 10 years.
>Hope springs eternal!
>Rory

I made an offer of £200 when a copy of "The St Clairs of the Isles" was put
on sale by the Orkney Auction Mart but, at the sale, it went for £300 which
I would have gladly paid but, without a guideline, it is difficult to
assess what
such books are likely to fetch when one is making an offer by post.

You may rest assured that if any copies of "The St Clairs of the Isles"
do come on the market, I will make sure to purchase them because,
although the book was published over 100 years ago, it is still the most
comprehensive history of the Sinclairs ever produced.  Nevertheless, it
is not fool-proof.

With the benefit of IT, it should now be possible to up-date "The St Clairs of
the Isles" with the vast amount of material which is currently
available.  The proliferation of
Sinclair web-sites is greatly encouraging but there is an obvious need for
some form of
centralisation and, I am sure, the whizz kids amongst us will see and seize
the opportunity to coordinate all the available data into a format which
will allow
us to trace every Sinclair past, present (and future).

Niven Sinclair