RE: another question

At 17:04 31/05/00 +1200, you wrote:
changes in climate?

> ----------

                                                CORN

From "Beyond Any Shadow of Doubt" by Niven Sinclair

Long before Europeans ever sailed to the New World, Maize or corn was being grown over a vast area
stretching from Chile in the South, through Brazil and north to Southern Canada.  It helped to sustain
the Aztec, Maya and Inca civilisations.  Native North Americans cultivated  it with beans (thus feeding
the roots of the maize with nitrates) and squash.  Together these three plants fulfilled all their nutritional
needs.

Nothing from the plant (maize) was wasted. It provided paper and fibres, bedding, fuel and fabric.  It also
provided alcoholic.  (In Africa, where maize was introduced, the baboons fill their chowks with maize cobs
which they deposit in any convenient water-logged bole of a tree where it quickly fermented.  The baboons
got gloriously drunk from this highly nutritional brew).

Pollen from maize-like plants has been found and identified as being more than 60,000 years old.  Small
cobs have ben found in Mexico that are 7,000 years old and the evidence shows that different kinds of corn
were clearly definable by the time Europeans reached America - indeed the survival of those early Europeans
has been attributed to the corn offered by the native peoples which, eventually, allowed them to cultivate corn
for themselves.

They celebrated this abundant harvest with "Thankgiving" which is still a major American festival to this day.

Today, the diversity of maize, in all its hybrid forms, tastes and colours, allows it to be grown around the World.
It also finds itself at the forefront of most arguments on GM foods.

Six hundred years ago, Henry Sinclair, realising the importance of 'maize', returned to Scotland with samples of
this versatile plant which his grandson, Earl William Sinclair, had his stone-masons carve in Rosslyn Chapel as
evidence of his grandfather's historic voyage to the New World in 1398  - before Columbus was born!!

Niven Sinclair