Re: General Fairfax

At 16:26 11/04/00 -0400, you wrote:

><<
>  I can't wait to get my hands on the facsimile and to devour every word
>  because I have been
>  aware of a huge gap in our knowledge about our family and it may be within
>  my grasp in days.
>   >>

>Niven --
>
>You have missed your true calling -- that of a master mystery writer !!
>
>Can you perhaps hint at what the gaps in the family history are that seem ,
>(I hope ) to be within your grasp ??
>
>  By huge gaps do you mean , lines of descent , family mysteries ,
>explorations , intrigue , etc.??

Joe,

As I am never tired of telling, the Sinclairs had a strategy which
transcended national boundaries.
They also had a 'secret' which made Kings and Queens speak and write to
them in an almost
subservient way.  How did they amass such wealth?.  How did they acquire
such vast Estates?.
Where did the money come from to build Rosslyn Chapel ?  Why was Prince
Henry chosen to
be the 'jarl' of Orkney when his two cousins (Alexander de Arde and Malise
Sperra) had an equal
or better claim because they were Scandinavian over whom the Norwegian King
could have exercised
some measure of control whilst Henry was the subject of the Scottish King -
albeit of Norse ancestry?

There are a whole forest of question marks which need to be answered.

The Hidden Hand of History needs to be revealed.  The truth needs to be
unearthed.  We may get
a little nearer once we have studied the Fairfax manuscripts.  We also need
to have a better understanding
of the cryptic message which Earl William Sinclair encoded in the carvings
in Rosslyn Chapel.

On this and on many other aspects of our history, we have only scratched
the surface.

Niven Sinclair

Niven