Re: Absence in Scotland.

At 15:09 27/03/00 -0400, you wrote:
>enjoy your much deserved peace, I'm jealous
>
>         be well,
>                 rob

  Rob,

  Filming is hardly relaxing and, from a helicopter, it is quite hazardous
-especially as we had
  the door off.  To make matters worse, it was freezing.  We had to thaw
the cameraman out
  from time to time because he was hanging half in and half out of the
helicopter.

The next say was all ground work but it was pissing with rain.  We got
access to Dounreay
Nuclear plant where there is an old Sinclair Castle slap in the middle of
the complex.  We
were 'assured' when we were told that they's had to excavate a meter and a
half of soil from
around the Castle because of contamination.  We were 'frisked' with a
Geiger counter as we
left.  It crackled like chips in a frying pan.  The plant is now being
de-commissioned.  This
will take 20 years at a cost of £20m per year.

Nevertheless, we got some good shots of the Castle which, like most
Sinclair Castles, is now
a ruin.  Ditto the Castle of Mey where the Queen Mother lives when she is
up in Scotland.
She will be 100 years of age this year and we are trying to get tickets for
200 people when
the massed pipe bands of all the Highland Regiments parade on the Esplanade
at Edinburgh
Castle.  Incidentally, the Esplanade was made part of Nova Scotia because
the King wanted
to make certain people Baronets of Nova Scotia (for money of course) and
could only dub
them on territory belonging to Nova Scotia - hence this strange arrangement.

As aye,

Niven