Re: Any Caithness McGregor History ?

At 20:54 13/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi -- Judith Harper
>New Zealand
>
>You Wrote::
>
>Joe - Am interested in this Children of the Mist Message board.  Would you
>please send me the address?  Many thanks
>
>The web address is ::
>http://disc.server.com/Indices/25102.html
>
>P.S. The Macgregor Clan are known as the "Children of the Mist "  ---- there
>are Sinclairs and other clan names which were used by the MacGregor Clan due
>to the proscription , thus they are found in many family trees under the
>various
>  Septs (adopted surnames ) !!
>
>Joe Greigg

   The ancestor of the McGregor Clan is supposed to be the 10th Century
King Girig
   but it is more generally assumed to have been derived from the given
name Gregory.

During the Middle Ages the Clan had a reputation for lawlessness and, as
has been
mentioned several times on the list, the name was proscribed from 1603 -
1661 and
again from 1693 - 1784 when the McGregors were required to take another name.
Nevertheless, the McGregors seems to have survived in large numbers as any
telephone
directory will show.  Good luck to them.

Niven Sinclair