Re: Clan in NZ

Hi Jeannie and Marilyn,

We know that my grandfather (Andrew W of Lappan, Latheronwheel, Caithness)
had a sister and two brothers who went to New Zealand in the late part of
the 19th century and that  the three families left descendants there.  Some
have moved to Australia but others are there still. Tait was one descendant
that I know of. Milamber could have more information as  she has done a
great deal of the genealogical research for our family.  Robert Winburn
Sinclair of Moorabbin has also some material
Jean.
.At 06:44  10/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
 >Jeannie,
 >   I have much information on the Sinclairs of St. Margarets Hope.  I have
 >several Roberts, with unknown middle names:
 >Robert born or christened Jan. 1, 1869-son of Rbt and Mary Sutherland
 >AllanSinclair
 >Robert born or christened May 15,1857-son of John and Eliz. Groat Sinclair
 >
 >Does this happen to be your line?  I think I have something from someone
else
 >on a Robert Anderson Sinclair.  I descend through Robert and Mary Sutherland
 >Allan Sinclair.  It is my understanding that some descendent went to
 >Australia and New Zealand.  Let me know if you are aware of a connection.
 >Thanks.
 >
 >Sincerely,
 >
 >Marilyn

   I have 6 pages of information about Andrew W. Sinclair of Lappan who
   would have been my  great uncle as his father, another Andrew Sinclair,
   was my great grandfather as you have noted, married Charlotte Calder.

   However, as this information came to me from my cousin, Jean, the
   mother of Milamba,  I am sure that Milamba will have a copy of it and
   be able to scan it and send it on to you by e-mail.

   Although Andrew headed off for Australia when he was only 19 years of
   age, it appears that he left for New Zealand where two of his sisters and
   a brother had already settled  near Invercargill.

   The Lappan Sinclairs helped to populate the 'colonies'.  Andrew might
    have had better luck of he had gone to America where two of his brothers
    became millionaires - one from real estate whilst the other made his money
    by building up an insurance business.  Another brother, David (my
grandfather)
    had also gone to Canada but returned to Scotland to take over the Lappan
    from his father.  He became President of the Caithness Horsebreeders
    Association.  He had 12 children - 9 of whom emigrated to Canada and the
    United States.  Shortly after the last war, 100 direct descendants of my
    grandfather sat down to have a meal together at Wallacetown, Ontario.
     The local ladies served them.

    It didn't surprise me to find that he had so many descendants but it did
    surprise me to discover that 100 members of my family would agree to
    sit down together.  (It must be something to do with the Canadian climate
    because the only time we meet nowadays is when we attend a funeral).

    As a boy, I remember asking my grandmother: "Is it true that you had
    twelve children?".  "Yes", she replied, "and I would have had another
    twelve but your grandfather wasn't up to it".  For the record, she was a
    Sutherland.  She was also the kindest woman I have ever known.

    Niven Sinclair