Re: yes, it was a real virus

>At 11:04 PM 3/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
>> >Upon discovering the virus before anything was posted in the list-serve, I
>> >sent you an e-mail at owner-sinclair@mids.org in hopes that that e-mail
>> >would come to you without propagating it to the entire group. My
>> questions are
>> >:
>> >
>> >1. Was this appropriate?
>> >2. Did you receive it?
>>
>>Despite the popular impression, I do not spend every waking minute reading
>>this list.
>
>Another myth shattered!
>
>>Yes, I received it.  No, I didn't read it until recently.
>>It wouldn't have made much difference anyway, since the virus would have
>>gone through anyway.
>
>Then my thought would be that the first to discover it as a true virus
>(such as this) probably should at least alert the group.  It's your
>list-serve, but I would not mind hearing about the danger that way.  Just a
>thought.

The problem is that 99% of virus reports are nothing but scare messages
passed from person to person without examination.  That kind of message
does nobody any good, instead it frightens people to no avail and clutters
up the list, making real discussions more difficult.

If somebody has checked it out, determined it really is a virus, and then
wants to post to the list with that information, including links to further
information, I have no objection to that.

Meanwhile, the list software with the recent configuration mods is
successfully stopping further postings by the virus itself.

>Keep up the great job!

Thanks.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>