Re: Did Gringoes First Grow in Scotland?

>Hi Cousins,
>        In all the reading I have done the song Green Grow the Rushes Oh,
>is the genesis for the term Gringo.  My Mexican friends also agree to this
>idea.  David-----Original Message-----

Dictionaries claim that gringo came from griego,
which means Greek, with a connotation of "stranger".

The version I heard actually had Green Grow the Lilacs.

For both songs and two versions of each, see
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/gringo.html

The eighty Scots mercenaries at the Alamo didn't exist,
but there were several Scots volunteers at the Alamo,
and the number might have grown in the telling.

There's a link to the Alamo web page from the above,
so you can find the list of those who died there.

John