Origins of Sinclair Name in Scotland

Find below a discussion of the origins of the Sinclair name in Scotland, this
appeared in another list I sub scribe to. The claim the the Scottish Sinclairs
originate from  St Clair-sur-Epte is one that I have heard from other sources
whom I respect,  but it does not seem to be the one put forward by many on this
list. Any comments from sub scribers ????

he following comes from this week's Rampant > Scotland > newsletter
http://www.rampantscotland.com > --------- > Sinclair > The name is derived
from Saint-Clair-sur-Elle in > Normandy. William de Sancto Claro, whose father
had > come over with William the Conqueror in 1066, came > to Scotland with his
wife. There were, however, other > members of the St. Clair family who came
north also. > They became established near Edinburgh and were > granted the
barony of Rosslyn. Sir William de St > Clair was involved in negotiating the
marriage of  > Yolande de Dreux with King Alexander III. <snip>

Burke's and Debrett's disagree that William, or Guillaume, was descended from
the earlier "William de Sancto Claro" who accompanied the Conqueror, or from
other Sinclairs in England who migrated north.  They claim that Guillaume de
St. Clair belonged to the Norman Seigneurs de St. Clair-sur-Epte, a younger son
who didn't stand to inherit the family manor in Normandy.  He married a cousin
of the above-mentioned Yolande de Dreux and did play a part in her pre-nuptial
arrangements, for which he received the manor of Rosslyn from Alexander III of
Scotland around 1280.

 best regards

John.