Sinclair Castle's at Noss

Just a note to let the group know that I was lucky enough to visit the castle's
at Noss head at the weekend. I stayed in Sutherland and drove the 60 or so
miles to Noss Head on a gloriously sunny Saturday morning. I stopped going over
the Ord to enjoy spectacular views out over the North Sea with a bracing North
wester reminding me that I was now in Caithness. I arrived at Noss around
lunchtime and parked up about a mile or so from the castles Giringoe and
Sinclair. A fifteen minute hike over boggy ground took me to the ruined castles
which are situated in a dramatic setting with the foam topped waves of Sinclair
Bay  providing a superb backdrop. The castles are indeed in a state of advanced
decay and all power to those attempting to preserve what is remaining.

I spent an hour or so looking around the site wondering what it must have been
like to inhabit such an exposed location in medieval times.I have since spent 3
days regretting the fact that I had not taken a camera with me. I was a little
disappointed to find no relevant historical information available at the castle
site, perhaps this is something that could be addressed in the future.

Having no access to the web from this PC and wonder if anyone could perhaps
post a history of the castles or point me to a book or other on the castles.

All in all a wonderful day and a trip that I recommend to you all.

Best Regards

John