Re: Sinclair Genealogy Digest Number 11

My feelings derive from the many, many people who have requested that their
family history not be used for public consumption.  I can still recall my
nephew calling me late one night as he had found my parents (his
grandparents) listed on a website and only one child listed - me.  He was
extremely upset and to be quite frank so was I.  I had never heard of the
person and when contacted he admitted he had copied the data from a small
family book I had published in 1970 - 29 years ago.  I had only made 10
copies for family members and unfortunately one of the recipients passed
away and during this 20 year period it had ended up in an  "in-laws" hands -
a person not even related to the family.  No, this was not my St. Clair side
of the family but it is an example of the lack of integrity floating the
web.
My name, address, and date were typed on the title page so there could be no
confusion that this was a personal family history book.

This has become a concern for most professional genealogists and most of
them are simply refusing to share their material.  I refuse to allow a few
to disrupt what I feel is an important goal - hence my refusal to send out
material on any branch unless the person requesting the material is a proven
descendant of that branch.

Perhaps others will be as honest as I have been and state their true reasons
or perceived need for a world-wide data base on the internet ?

I seem to be the only person willing to bring it out other than a selected
list of "respondees".  Do any others on the site have any feelings on the
subject?
Jean