Scots Clans descended from Rollo

Dear Laurel

To add to the Sinclairs, Rollos, Bruces and Jardines, many of the "Highland"
Clans are actually of Norman origin including the Gordons, the Frasers, the
Chisolms, the Colquhons, the Stewarts, the Montgomerys. Some say the Chisolms
are of Celtic origin, but their crest is the badge of Rollo.  Of course, over
1000 years since the Normans joined and intermarried with the established
Norse who came straight from Norway (remember, the Kingdom of Norway extended
as far south as Perth for nearly 600 years), the native Celts and the
aboriginal Picts so all the Clans are quite a mixture. Since then we have
been joined by Dutch (the Groats of Caithness started as de Groot), Flemings,
who were weavers from the Low Countries.  We also have some survivors of the
Spanish Armada, and the last 100 years has seen new immigration to Scotland
including Poles, Italian, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis.  I first saw a
Pakistani in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders some 25 years ago.  Much
more Scots than me and a awesome figure in his kilt! We even have a bit of
Anglo Saxon!

There is a very good website "Electric Scotland" which has summaries of all
the Clans and major Scots Families (though no Lairds as yet, perhaps the
Laird Family Association should consider getting a listing) and Scots History
at "www.electric.scotland.com".  The Clan pages have the tartans and crests
as well as the history, so they are a good general reference.

Yours aye

Iain Laird