Re: AUTOPOST: Guest Book Entry [Antonia Goodland-Clark]

At 05:58 20/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Author:   Antonia Goodland-Clark
>Date:     Tuesday, July 20, 1999
>
>SHETLAND SINCLAIRS. I'm descended from the union of James Scott and
>Catherine Sinclair which took place in Scalloway in 1750. Their house is
>well-known and has a plaque above the door commemorating this marriage.
>Can anyone out there give me some information on this family?
>The Scotts are 'Scotstarvet' Scotts according to Sir Walter Scott (no
>relation by the way) Antonia Scott Goodland.
>
>The family of Scotts you are talking about married into the Sinclairs of
>Scalloway in this fashion:

                 (I could go back to  William Sinclair of Houss who was
born in 1460; who fought at the
                  Battle of Summerdale on 18th May, 1529 for which he was
respited on 19th September,
                  1539 just before his death in the same year.  It is from
this man that the Sinclairs of
                   Scalloway are descended)

If we cut out the intervening generations, we come to:

                 Robert Sinclair of Scalloway who was born in 1702; was was
served heir to his father
                 (Arthur Sinclair of Scalloway who was drowned going to
college in Aberdeen in 1716)
                 on 9th July, 1728 and died on 3rd January, 1741.  He
married (first) in 1721, Philadelphia,
                 the daughter of Sir John Dalmahay of that Ilk and had one
son and two daughters, namely:

                 James Sinclair of Scalloway (his heir)

                 Anne who was born in 1722 married John Scott of Melby on
19th January, 1748 and died
                                 in 1772

                 Katherine (Catherine) who married James Scott, a merchant
in Scalloway,  in 1750

I hope this is the information which you are looking for.

Niven Sinclair