Re Clans

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Privateers
  To: Ssinclair@jump.net
  Sent: Friday, June 25, 1999 1:57 PM
  Subject: Clans

  I thought it might be useful to detail where the principle Clans of
  Scotland originate from.  Here is a brief list underneath.

  Norse----------
  Gunn
  MacLeod
  Morrison
  Sutherland

  Norman---------
  Cummings
  Comyns
  Cummins
  Bruce
  Frasier
  Gordon
  Grant
  Macpherson
  Sinclair

  Anglo-Norman-------
  Graham
  Lindsey
  Menzies

  French-----------
  Ogilvy

  Celtic-------------
  Cameron
  Macfarlane
  Macgregor
  Macky
  Mackenzie
  Macintosh
  Mackinnon
  Maclachlan
  Maclaren
  Maclean
  Macmillan
  Macnab
  Macnoughton
  Macneill
  Malcolm
  Robertson (Clan Donnachaidh)

  Gaelic-------------
  Ross

  English-----------
  Stewart of Appin

  German----------
  Murray

  Unknown---------
  Moncriff
  Urquhart  (An American, Kenneth Urquhart is the 26th Chief of the Clan)

  Sinclair

I am sure all Comyn, Cummings, Cummin etc originate from Flanders not Normandy.
there is also considerable doubt about the origins of the Frasers possibly
Flemish also. It seems that in Scotland/ Britain it is a sign of pedigree if
you can claim Norman family origins but not so Flemish. I myself think that the
vast amounts of trade between Flanders and lowland Scotland in Medieval times
and the fact that William had a very large Flemish force in his army in 1066
must surely mean that many families claiming Norman descent are actually of
Flemish stock.

Bye the Bye. My own family names are Duguid, which is generally found in
Perthshire Aberdeenshire and many think may be Norman in origin, Lorimer,
Graham, and Montgomery all of which claim Norman origin. I myself consider that
in general is what is around you now that contributes your attidutes, your
culture, and your feelings of nationality , not where your family may or may
not have originated from over 900 years ago.  I therefore consider myself
Scottish having been born here and lived here for 38 years.