Re: Little Saint

At 21:55 21/06/99 +0100, you wrote:

>The village idiot you will never be. From the twinkle of you pen I feel you
>may not be the village saint. I put my hand in the fire for you
>
>In Trinidad from the day of Darien to the setting of the Union flag beding
>the local talent was expected of young men. Scots lads of gentle breeding
>watched the cane fields from towers all around the Island. My father James,
>they called him boy D'Amor and my Uncles Charles and Donalbain did the best
>they could to help extend the clan.  No matter how hard I tried,
>unfortunatly "masa dey done" when I returned from Glenamond and I was unable
>to spread the good Scots blood. When I married at 29 I could never convince
>my bonny bride of my duty. (Some people have no feeling for tradition)
>
>I do have some interesting allsorts relations however.
>
>Sinclair

Dear Sinclair.

Strange that you should head your e-mail "Little saint" because that is
exactly what "Niven"
means in Gaelic which, of course, my parents expected me to be but, in
which hope, I was
destined to disappoint them.

Seldom can anyone have been given a name in such direct contradictionto to
their nature.                                                        My
domine (Scottish headmaster) once said; "Thank God, there is a war on
because if there hadn't                                         been you
would have created one".

I was deeply hurt.

And, yet, I can sign myself.........

The Little Saint St Clair