No Subject

Niven,

>Yours Aye printed a brief summary of the six Sinclair Lords
>who currently hold seats in the House of Lords. This
>was prepared by Malcolm Sinclair, the present Earl of Caithness

There's also a copy of the text of the version from Roslin O' Roslin,
the Clan Sinclair Canada newsletter, in
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/clancan.html
courtesy of Rory Sinclair, as a brief extract from that newsletter
and advertisement for it, just as there are many mentions of
Yours Aye in those web pages.

I've been careful not to put anything longer from the Earl on the web
without explicit permission, on the theory that what he's been writing
has been directed to the paper newsletters, and that people should
subscribe to those newsletters to read his articles.

It's good to see that both Yours Aye and Roslin O' Roslin have
recently picked up articles from the web pages for paper publication.
Thus we seem to have a generally beneficial exchange of material.

> who also has a very detailed chart of his own lineage
>and how his branch of the family (Mey) came to inherit the Earldom of
>Caithness.

That sounds very interesting.

>My own geneaology of Prince Henry Sinclair (showing both his Norse and
>Norman ancestry) is considered (by no less
>an authority than Dr Barbara Crawford, Professor of Medieval
>Studies at St Andrews University) to be the best.

Congratulations.

>By copy of this e-mail, I am asking Ian Sinclair to send you a copy of
>these genealogies when he returns to Noss Head.
>Ditto to Mary Selver and Laurel Fechner so that the necessary additions
>to the web pages can be made. These are
>important documents which form the essential framework for a proper
>understanding of our family history.

Looking forward to it.

Do you by any chance also have GEDCOM of these genealogies that you could
send electronically?  That would greatly facilitate drawing charts.
If not, perhaps someone will volunteer to convert them to GEDCOM.
Maybe one of the clan genealogists can do that.

>We often talk about our family tree and, indeed, we are like a tree which
>needs feeder roots (going no deeper than the
>18th Century) but which also has a tap root going back <b><i>before the
>birth of Christ </b></i>to our Scandinavian forefathers who
>believed than Odin made the World.

Gives a perspective on most of western history, doesn't it?

John S. Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>