Re: Hold the Fort! --Andelys

This discussion of les Andelys has been fascinating.
For example, I wasn't aware that Eleanor of Acquitaine was even
still alive when Richard was returning from Outremer, much less
that she intervened personally to get him released from Germany.

We do seem to be wandering a bit far from Sinclair discussions,
so I've added here a seque back to a Sinclair castle.

>You are correct <a href="#prevAndelys">my hurried translation</a>
>was in error. "Au somme d'une
>falasise abrupte se dressent les ruines de Chateau-Galliard, forteresse
>edifiee par Richard Coeur de Lion au retour de croisade (1196-1197)."
>
>Guide de La Route Selection de Reader's Digest S.A Paris 1997
>
>Sinclair

Translation:
At the summit of a sheer cliff rise the ruins of Castle Petulant,
fortress built by Richard Lionheart on return from crusade (1196-1197).

See also
 http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/2025/age.htm

Laurel's and Sinclair's text and the above translation is now in
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/normandy.html

Meanwhile, in the Girnigoe page,
 http://internal.mids.org/sinclair/girnigoe.html

you'll find a link to some pictures by Becir
 http://home.worldnet.fr/~becir/Html/Ecosse/Sinc_1.htm

which has accompanying text which says:

Le Sinclair Castle se situe au Nord de l'Ecosse, pres de Wick. C'est une
ruine tres romantique. Il reste peu a visiter mais l'endroit est tres beau:
le chateau est construit dans le prolongement de la falaise et descend
droit dans la mer. On voit d'ailleurs ici parfaitement les differentes
strates et la facon dont les pierres s'ajustent a la roche.

Translation:
Sinclair Castle is located in the North of Scotland, near Wick.
It is a very romantic ruin.  It is seldom visited, yet the area
is very beautiful:  the castle is constructed on a prolongation
of the cliff and descends straight to the sea.  One can also see
clearly there the different strata and the fashion with which the
stones [presumably the building stones of the castle] were fitted
to the rock.

John