Re: Origin of Sinclair-St. Clair the Hermit

Just back from nice trip to Nebraska.

Read your information, Richard, with much interest since this Clare the
Hermit is the subject of my next Yours Aye article.
    You have sent me into a panic!!
    Your information says that he was martyred in 834.  The Morrison history
of the Sinclairs gives the date of 884.  Now I wonder whether this date was
misread on the stone monument.  8 often can look like a 3 or the reverse.
Or when Morrison's handwritten manuscript was put into print, it could have
been misread.  I know that there are numerous errors as I have told you
before just on one page for my St. Clair ancestors in his book.
    I did think strongly that it should have taken more than 27 years  for
him to be cannonized and several towns named after him.  So that by 911 when
the Rollo-King Charles treaty was signed, there was a town called St. Clair.
Does that seem reasonable that cannization can be done so quickly?
(911-884=27 years)

    What is your source of information?  Please understand that I am not
challenging you, but seriously needing to find the right date.  If your date
is correct,  I AM IN A PANIC!  I will need to rewrite portions of my article
that has already been submitted.
    Perhaps our Sinclair friend from France who was going up to St. Clare
soon can quickly settle this problem or some of you with other sources can
settle this for me.
    I am trying very hard to get the facts straightened out on this early
history.  It is a problem as you can see.  Already I see that information in
the first article should be changed according to new findings since March.
I hope that  any of you who has corrections to the articles will contact me
personally.  Happily the internet provides the means to correct the articles
after they are on the web.

    Another thing that makes we sweat a lot is to find errors in the books
that I'm using as resources.  For instance:
One book says that certain Danish raiders into Ireland in 852 rewarded St.
Patrick with gold and silver for favoring them over the Norwegians--BUT--
Patrick lived about 389-461.
and a book on Celtic history says that Alfred the Great, King of England,
led the English Saxons to defeat and William, Duke of Normandy, led the
Normans to victory in 1066 .---BUT King Alfred d. 899 and there were
NUMEROUS kings before 1066.  King Harold was the actual English king at the
Battle of Hastings 1066.

and  another book says St. Margaret's daughter Edith (Maude) was confined to
a nunnery at Winchester during the invasion by Duke William in 1066. (There
is no mention of her mother, Margaret, being with her, so it is assumed that
she is almost or all grown up) HOWEVER,  since St. Margaret didn't marry
Malcolm until 1070 that was impossible. Even if Margaret had married Malcolm
when she was about 14 (1059), as many Sinclair stories tell us, this would
still be impossible because Margaret had 6 sons before the birth of Edith.
So she could hardly have 7 children by 1066.  And even if some boys were
twins and we could get Edith born by 1066, it is unreasonable to think that
Margaret would not have her baby with her.
Also there are numerous Norman conflicting genealogy  charts to sort
through.

    My point to this is: it is scary that these authors, living there in
England who have the records and resourses at their fingertips, have made
such gross errors.  There seems little hope for me.

Laurel