Re: Connections with Portugal??

They may have made the same mistake that a cousin of
mine made.  We were discussing Prince Henry
Sinclair's voyage to the New World and her child
popped out with "Did he have anything to do with
Prince Henry the Navigator?"  Prince Henry the
Navigator of Portugal funded explorers such as
Magellan much later than Prince Henry Sinclair did -
by about 2 centuries if my faulty memory is not
failing me.  The strange side of all this is that on
my father's side of the family (non-Sinclair) there
was one Christophe Colomb from Corbeille, France who
married Francoise Bringier of White Hall Plantation
and subsequently of Bocage Plantation (her father's
wedding present) up-river from New Orleans in about
1800.  He claimed descent from Christopher Columbus,
but since records were destroyed during the French
Revolution we have never been able to prove or
disprove the association, which I don't think would
be anything to be proud of anyway, considering recent
discoveries regarding the original Christopher that
have come to light such as treatment of the native
population, etc.

Sorry to stray so far from the subject, but couldn't
resist adding in a little personal vignette.

---CMelahn@aol.com wrote:

> Someone recently was telling me that there was some
type of connection
> between the Sinclair family and Portugal.  Has
anyone heard anything along
> these lines?  Were they thinking of a marriage
perhaps?  They were very hazy
> as to the exact reason they sensed a connection,
but the idea seemed
> interesting enough that I decided to refer it to
the group.  Portugal
sinclair@jump.net.
http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html